Our teens and adolescents are experiencing different issues than we did growing up. There is more pressure to excel among peers in academics, sports, and other activities. With the changes in our economy, there are new fields of research and extracurricular competitions such as robotics and coding. Most pressing, is the issue with social media, increasing peer pressure and online bullying.
As much as we want to support our kids through these experiences, teens often hold back from sharing due to fears of “getting in trouble,” losing privileges and wanting to “be strong” and not be impacted by these things. However, we know through research and current events, that our teens and adolescents today are not reaching out for help as often as they need to.
Reasons why enrolling your teen in therapy is a good idea:
- Many mental health disorders begin to surface during adolescence
- 1 in 5 youth is experiencing a mental health illness now
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in young people ages 10-24 (NAMI)
If your teen is experiencing any of these behaviors, therapy can help…
- Depressed, withdrawn, moody
- “Touchy” or easily set-off
- Frequent crying or keeping to self in room
- Asking to stay home from school
- Unable to detach from phone
- Intense anxiety or fear about a situation
- Lying or stealing
- Changes in grades from what is “average” for your teen
- Other unusual behavior or issue
Therapy is a life-saving and life-changing resource for your teen and will provide them with an outlet to share their experiences, tools and skills to get through what is troubling them and a place to learn how to communicate better within their family to get the support that they’re needing.